Friday 11 April 2014

Evaluation Question 3 - What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?





A media institution focuses on the publishing of a magazine. They don’t really make the magazine as such they just help sell it which is what a company wants because without publishing a magazine does not make profit, and without profit the magazine cannot be published, created a rather nice cycle.

For my magazine I had to decide a institution that I thought would be the most suitable for my genre. My first idea was to look into the institution that published Kerrang and Mojo, two of my inspirations for my final work. This research leaded to Bauer, a Uk institution responsible for many of the leading music magazines.

One thing that really led me towards this institution is the close link that it has with social networking. A lot of my magazine talks about social networking and how the editor reaches out to the community through these mediums in order to partake in-group discussion amongst the fans. This concept is not necessarily new, but it Is a very effective method amongst music magazines for attracting a strong fan base, which is why I included within my design.

I exampled the link with social networking on my contents page; at the base of the page I made sure to give reference to different websites. I included Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr, three very popular websites amongst teenagers, and especially popular for Magazine creators as they give a very simple method of distributing information. There are many references within my contents that link to the community and twitter; an entire section of the contents revolves around talking to the community.

Bauer allow for subscriptions to be made online to each of the magazines that they produce, which would be a very useful feature to have, along with the ability to subscribe through a phone number. The price of magazines within this institution basically remain the same, which is why I would want to follow through with them, in order to create a magazine that fans of other magazine styles would not think feels out of place.

The money to begin the magazine process would need to be built over time by those who would wish to pitch the concept to the institution. For example, if I and a group of friends were serious about making this a real magazine, I would need to create an initial pool that would help build my magazine from the ground up, eventually making a profit that I can use to fund the magazine and hopefully keep part as a profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment